Halacha in the News
- Organ donation - Rabbanut vs. Rav Vosner
- My kids wore crocs on Yom Kippur despite the suggestion by Rav Elyashiv not to do so. כבודו במקומו מונח, I have other rabbis I can rely upon - plus, I doubt Rav Elyashiv was issuing a straight-out Issur.
- Regarding Shabbat elevators, Rav Nissim Karelitz and Rav Chaim Kanievsky have forbidden the use of Shabbat elevators on Shabbat, and Rav Elyashiv apparently agreed. However, YWN clarified Rav Elyashiv's statement. Rav Yisrael Rozen, admitting that he's not a bar plugta of these great rabbis, nevertheless disagrees and wants to get together with them and explain his reasoning why they should be permitted.
- Lulavim in Israel may be coming from Hamas-controlled Gaza in order to keep prices down. One of those no-win situations.
- Not really contemporary halacha, but the whole process/ceremony of Motzi Shem Ra in the Torah may need further analysis by the beit din of 23 (when Dinei Kenasot/Dinei Nefashot will be reestablished בב"א) due to Chinese technology. Even if ופרשו השמלה and ואלה בתולי בתי are figurative, at least it needs further inspection according to ר' אליעזר בן יעקב's view (who says שמלה ממש).