Geula Update from Rav Fish - Kippur, 5772
Here are some of the tidbits from Rav Fish's latest:
- The Exodus from Egypt also occurred when the shadows of evening started stretching, as the Mechilta (Bo 5) says, "When did they leave? From 6 hours onward, as it says 'בעצם היום הזה'. Ribbi Natan says: How do we know a proof that 'Bein Ha'arbayim" is from 6 hours onward? Even though there is no proof, there is a verse that can be used to remember this idea, 'אוֹי לָנוּ כִּי פָנָה הַיּוֹם כִּי יִנָּטוּ צִלְלֵי עָרֶב'." [YY- the shadows really start to stretch at the 6.5 hour, as mentioned here based on Rashi Shabbat 9B s.v. מנחה גדולה.]
- Midrash Aggada Bereishit 36:
- The Likutim of the Ariza"l (Toledot p.76):
- The Siddur HaRasha"sh says that when we say the ובכןs on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, we should have in mind that בכן has the gematria of 72 [YY - as is printed in many Sephardic Mahzorim] and these paragraphs are about the Final Redemption.
- In the name of Harav Hagaon R' David Samson Shlit"a: we find in the Siddur HaRasha"sh that when saying the chapter of Tehillim (Psalm 20) יענך ה' ביום צרה, which contains 70 words, one should have in mind the 70 sounds of a birthing mother, and when saying the Kedusha of Uva Letziyon, one should have in mind the birth of the Heavenly influence of the entire day. It comes out that the words, ובא לציון גואל are words 71, 72, and 73 respectively. Going a bit deeper, the words ובא לציון hint to the birth as Tziyon symbolizes the birthplace, whereas גואל hints to the actual Redemption, in the year 5773.
- Rav Yosef Chaim Sonnenfeld saw the Balfour Declaration as a sign of the End of Days. The Hafetz Hayim, on the other hand, saw it as the Redemption coming via nature, and saw the infux of Jews to Eretz Yisrael an עת פקידה. The Hazon Ish said similarly in his letters (vol. 1, 109).
- When Rashi on Daniel 8:13 says ערב ובקר is a gematria, Harav Hagaon R' Berel Eisenblat Shlit"a says he means that לעת ערב is the gematria that is being referred to, which equals 772.
- תקע בשופר is the same letters as פרוק תשע"ב ("redeem 5772").
- The Hafetz Hayim says that whoever doesn't contemplate the Redemption process is similar to a man who accepted the Torah at Mt. Sinai but did not learn from it.
- R' Yonatan Eybeshitz, in Tiferet Yehonatan on Nitzavim, says that the Jews in the Diaspora are in for a second-wave of ingathering of the exiles, but the Shechina will have gone to Israel first, and as a result, the Diaspora Jews will be left without protection [YY - see also a recent Tomer Devorah post and a recent Shirat Devorah post]. The Netziv in Ha'ameik Davar also mentions a second-wave of ingathering. Rav Yehezkel Levenstein ZT"L said in the name of the Hafetz Hayim that it will be more difficult for those in the Diaspora to be redeemed, and will require more merits.
- The Malbim on Micha 4:8 that I mentioned here.
- Zecharia 14:16 (see Radak and Metzudot David there) and onwards prove that the Gog Umagog War will be on Sukkot.
- Zecharia 14:12 proves unconventional weapons like those that exist today will be used in the war.