The 3 Torah councils
met Monday night and issued the following statement, followed by my translation:
|Statement of the 3 Moatzot|
Source: Kikar and YWN
With Hashem Yitbarach's help, 25 Adar I, 5774
It is not a time to be silent when arose among the people of the ruling government in Eretz Yisrael - with the direction of the prime minister - to rebel against the Kingdom of Heaven. And their intent is with them to decree - Rahmana Litzlan - about uprooting the Torah and to place upon Torah learners - whose trade is Torah - a criminal punishment so bad that it could cause them to be thrown into jail.
We are trembling due to the Hillul Hashem and the insult to Torah that is in this matter. We are fearful of the result and are pained by the continued and intentional scheming against the Torah world and the unending attempts to restrict its steps every step of the way.
In light of this, we have decided the following:
1) The Councils of Torah Gedolim and Sages demand from the government to immediately cancel the decisions of the committee for the forced conscription of Yeshiva and Kollel students, and call upon all Yeshiva and Kollel students not to be drafted into the army in any way whatsoever, not to be swayed by any enticements or punishments, and not to cooperate with an army program at a Haredi classification center. Rather, they should continue to learn their studies day and night.
2) If, G-d forbid, those chasing after religion will remove their muzzles in action and enact a law of forced conscription, the Councils of Torah Gedolim and Sages will gather for an advisory meeting against those chasing after religion and their schemes, and will weigh the possibility of forbidding going to the recruiting offices at all.
3) The Councils of Torah Gedolim and Sages demands from the government not to restrict the steps of the Torah world, but rather, to help the spread of Torah and educational institutions in the Holy Land in the path that was paved by our rabbis.
4) The Councils of Torah Gedolim and Sages turns now to the myriads of Your nation, the House of Israel with the call
: "There is nothing left over for us - except this Torah
". Learning Torah and fulfilling its Mitzvot with holiness and purity are the protecting wall of Am Yisrael wherever they live from all troubles and tribulations. And they are what will stand in the hard times that visit the House of Israel wherever they live, both in public and private matters, both in spiritual and physical matters. We must therefore strengthen ourselves tenfold in learning Torah and fulfilling Mitzvot with purity and all minutiae of Halacha.
5) The Councils of Torah Gedolim and Sages call upon our brothers, the whole House of Israel, wherever they live - in Israel and abroad - to grab hold of the trade of our forefathers in their hands to gather all the Jews together - every tribe of Israel - men and children - to mightily call out to Hashem - to plead and supplicate toward our Father in Heaven to have mercy upon us like a father for his children. And we are announcing with this to gather together all that fear and tremble before the word of Hashem in a gathering of prayer, outcry, and mass protest on Sunday, 7 Adar II, 5774. There should be within it a sanctification of the Name of Heaven to counteract the desecration of the Name of Heaven that was performed by the uprooters of religion.
And Hashem Yitbarach should hear our cries and accept our prayers for mercy and acceptance, and He should hurry to redeem us and take us out from trouble to safety and from darkness to great light, speedily in our days, Amen.