Geula-Related Recent Links

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Been Thinkin About Zionism Lately

A few things going on have gotten me thinking about Zionism and the State of Israel.

First, I read this post from Chardal, which I thought was pretty accurate.

Then, I went to this event which had some interesting speakers. The RCA's Rav Gedalia Dov Schwartz, Har Nof's Rav Sholom Gold, and YU's Mashgiah Rabbi Blau were there, among others.

Next, I read Hashem1.net's take on Amona and how he says (based on the Gemara in Sanhedrin) that today's Yi'ush (giving up hope) due to events like Amona is closer to the At'halta Dige'ulata (beginning of redemption) than the creation of the State of Israel, and that Amona proves that the creation of the State is not At'halta Dige'ulata. I'm not sure I buy the second half of this argument, however.

Finally, I was in a Beit Midrash last night, and while my havruta was home sick, I happened to see a copy of the Hebrew version of Em Habanim Semeiha by Rav Teichtal, ZT"L. I've heard about the book before, but never got a chance to read it. I just read part of the introduction and I was floored. Beli Neder, I'm going to try to read more.

2 Comments:

At Tue Feb 14, 09:07:00 PM 2006, Blogger Akiva said...

It is available in English as well, have it on my shelf. Frankly it's terrifying, especially the context of when it was written.

 
At Thu Feb 16, 06:28:00 PM 2006, Blogger Yoel.Ben-Avraham said...

Well, like I say to people who are thinking of moving to Israel (and I've been saying it for over thirty years):

If you are coming here to try and solve YOUR problems, you are better off staying there. If , on the other hand, you are coming here to help us solve OUR problems, Brauch Habah! We could use all the help we can get!

Like everything in life, its all a question of "Managing Expectations", in this case, yours. If you come PREPARED for the difficulties, you'll succeed. Otherwise your failure is almost guaranteed!

My $00.02

Yoel Ben-Avraham
Shilo, Benyamin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home