Geula-Related Recent Links

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

IOC, ABC (Anywhere But Chicago)

I'm rooting against holding the Olympics in Chicago in 2016.

The only reason to root for it is because it puts a spotlight on the great city of Chicago.

And that's exactly the reason to root against it - because it puts a spotlight on the great city of Chicago. We don't need international attention and everything that comes with it - terrorism attempts, beefed-up security requirements at all Jewish institutions, strange people from countries that are not friendly to the U.S. or Israel descending upon the city, etc. As a resident here, I would be very concerned about these issues.

And that's not to mention the higher taxes which are sure to come as a result. Mayor Daley pretty much promised that he'd pay for any leftover costs. How? Taxes, of course. Our city + county + state taxes are already among the nation's highest, if not the highest. The Olympics would make those numbers astronomical.

I hope Mashiah will come by then, but if ח"ו, he does not, we can ill-afford this hullabaloo called the Olympics.

4 Comments:

At Wed Sep 30, 02:56:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever think of making aliyah to Israel? Just think how nice it would be to worry over potential problems in your very own land and not in a foreign land where you do not belong. I also hope that Mashiach comes soon, but I can't imagine praying for his arrival so that the Olympics don't disturb the Jews in galus in Chicago.

 
At Wed Sep 30, 03:11:00 PM 2009, Blogger yaak said...

Thanks, Anonymous.
Yes, often.
I was considering adding the Aliya clause to the last paragraph of the post, but I left it out.
In the event that Mashiah doesn't come, and I made Aliya, I would still pray for my friends who stayed behind.

 
At Wed Sep 30, 03:20:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're praying for you hard - at least three times a day in shmoneh esrei - because we need you here - not to save you from higher taxes and the olympics.

 
At Wed Sep 30, 03:33:00 PM 2009, Blogger yaak said...

Thank you for your Tefillot.
In case you think I'm a "Let's stay in Galut forever" Jew, I'm not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home