Rav Berger on Kever David and Geula - Part 6 of 6
From Rav Berger's latest:
Continued from Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5.
Such is how the prophet Ovadia concludes his End of Days prophecy:
"The Saviors shall come up." [Who are the "saviors"?]
- Rashi - the officers of Israel
- Ibn Ezra - the judges of Israel
- Radak - the King Mashiah and the 7 shepherds
And when will Yaakov go to Se'ir to fulfill his promise to Esav? During the days of Mashiah, for then, the Children of Israel will come to take revenge against him, as it says: "And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau".I.e., King Mashiah and the officers of Israel that are on Mt. Zion will go up to Esav to punish him.
What comes out of this for us from the words of the verse in Parshat Vayishlah and also from the words of the Prophet Ovadia is that "Mt. Zion" will in the future be a battlefield between the truth of our holy Torah and the falsehood of the pig who shows its split hooves - between faith and heresy. The "Saviors" will go specifically to Mt. Zion because there is the place of judgment of the mountain of Esav (who is Edom - Xtianity) and there is where the Kingdom of the King of kings will be revealed in full.
And here, the question is asked: From the wording of the verses in Parshat Vayishlah, it is simply implied that Yaakov will actually go to Se'ir, so why did the sages expound to say that the intent is to Mt. Zion?
However, the answer is that here, the Torah is giving us a clear hint to our generation - the generation of the Redemption, who are going to be greeting our righteous Mashiah - where the great war between Yaakov and Esav will take place. It will be on Mt. Zion, the city of the great king, where the kings of the House of David are hidden, of whose descendants the Mashiah is destined to come, as King David A"H prophesied (Tehillim 132:13-17) כִּי-בָחַר יְהוָה בְּצִיּוֹן; אִוָּהּ, לְמוֹשָׁב לוֹ. ... שָׁם אַצְמִיחַ קֶרֶן לְדָוִד; עָרַכְתִּי נֵר, לִמְשִׁיחִי [For the LORD hath chosen Zion; He hath desired it for His habitation: ... There will I make a horn to shoot up unto David, there have I ordered a lamp for Mine anointed] where every heart mourns that most of the site is ruled today by churches of idol worship and all types of impurities, and there, there is an increase of their impurities since there is where Xtianity - the children of Esav - nurtures its strength - from the holiness of Mt. Zion, which is the source of its power throughout the world. In this place, there will be a great war against them, and there will be their great downfall as no refugee will remain!
Therefore, also in the blessings of the Haftara, it says, "Have mercy on Zion for it is the house of our life, and to those of downtrodden soul, You should save speedily in our days. Blessed are You, Hashem, Who makes Zion happy with its children."
Zion, in reality today, is a "downtrodden soul" because, as the vast majority of the area (from Jaffa Gate until David's Tomb) is occupied by houses of idol worship and impurity.
"The joy of Zion" will become reality only when its children return to it. And for this reason, we conclude the blessing "Blessed are You, Hashem, Who makes Zion happy with its children." In other words, this occurs with the actual return of the children - the Children of Israel - to Zion, who are the "Saviors on Mt. Zion". With the actual return to Mt. Zion, with their presence, with their prayers, with their crying out to Hashem, with their longing for the renewal of the kingdom of the House of David.
At the gravesite of King David A"H, the disgust that Israel despised the House of David will be rectified. And then, the power of Esav (Edom) will be nullified - the power that is nurtured from the holiness of the place and from this power, it rules over the entire world.
As it is written in the words of the Prophet Hoshea (3:5) אַחַר, יָשֻׁבוּ בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל, וּבִקְשׁוּ אֶת-יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵיהֶם, וְאֵת דָּוִיד מַלְכָּם; וּפָחֲדוּ אֶל-יְהוָה וְאֶל-טוּבוֹ, בְּאַחֲרִית הַיָּמִים [afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall come trembling unto the LORD and to His goodness in the end of days. ]
Rashi, in his commentary on this verse quotes the wording of the Midrash (Yalkut Shimoni Shemuel Alef, Remez 106) that:
In 3 things did the Children of Israel despise during the time of Rehav'am: the Kingdom of Hashem, the rising of the kingdom of the House of David, and the building of the Beit Hamikdash.The Foolish and False Faith of the Xtians, the Descendants of Esav - Amalek YM"S
Ribbi Shimon Ben Menasya said: Israel will never see a sign of Redemption until they return and request all 3. This is what it means when it says "afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God" - this refers to the Kingdom of Heaven; "and David their king" - this refers to the kingdom of the House of David; "and shall come trembling unto the LORD and to His goodness" - this refers to the Beit Hamikdash.
The Xtians are descendants of Esav - Amalek, in that they are scared of the prophecy of the End of Days, the true prophecy that the Prophet Ovadia prophesied. What did they do? They took this prophecy, and just as they did to many other verses in Tanach, they corrupted it and interpreted it in a way that's good in their eyes. (I don't want to go over their foolishness and give power to the impurity.) However, we will write briefly that they believe in a false faith that if they will go up to Mt. Zion and control it completely, then Oto Ha'ish Hatamei will come and will - as if it were possible - "redeem" them...
This is the reason that in the course of all these years, they concerned themselves with buying for a lot of money (astronomical amounts) the majority of the areas (90%) on Mt. Zion around the gravesite of the anointed King David and the other kings of the House of David - in order to retain their mistaken faith. And this is the reason why they are struggling so much nowadays to attain control over the gravesite itself of King David.
In other words, the Xtians, the descendants of Esav, are trying to fight with all their might against the prophecy that predicts for them a bitter end on Mt. Zion, and they are trying - with the power of impurity - to overcome it and to delay it by way of full control of that holy place.
However, we are believers, the children of believers. And just as we are commanded to believe that all the words of the prophets are true, we also believe that they are going to get their great "blow".
The prophecy of the Prophet Ovadia "And the Saviors shall come up on Mt. Zion" is starting to be Realized in These Days!
There is great joy in our souls for it is time to be gracious unto her, for the appointed time is come. For behold, anyone who contemplates by looking at the core [of world events] (and such have I heard from Gedolim and Tzaddikim with whom I have spoken many times in the past few weeks about the supreme Heavenly struggle), can see and feel that behold the time of singing is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. Awake, awake, put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city [see the continuation of the verse] when the descendants of Esav are trying with all their might to attain further hold in this holy mountain - the city of the kingdom, the city of the great king, where in the heights of Mt. Zion, Mashiah Ben David is destined to be revealed - and on the other hand, the "Saviors" of our time are going up (every Jew who prays to HKB"H to cut off the power of impurity is called a "savior") and opposing this with all their possible might by way of a war of prayers of: "to remove the idols from the land and all the idols will surely be cut off", cries and requests to the Creator of the world of: "And all the heretics shall perish in an instant", interspersed with protests and physical acts. And by doing so, with the action of It'aruta Diltata (an awakening from below), they are enacting an It'arut Dil'eila (an awaking from above) that the saviors from Heaven will come and judge the mountain of Esav, and the honor of the Kingdom of Heaven will be revealed.
With this, the Redemption of Israel and the revelation of the honor of the Shechina is already blooming, and happiness and joy will gladden our faces...
1) The holiness of Mt. Zion is exceedingly great and exalted due to the fact that King David A"H is hidden there, and 6 other kings of the House of David and Yehoyada, the Kohen Gadol - all being supremely holy. Therefore, there is an ancient tradition whereby Gedolei Yisrael of all generations testified about it, as was brought earlier. And according to the opinion of the Rishonim, where today is the gravesite of David, David placed the Ark of the Covenant of Hashem for 44 years after bringing it up from the Philistines. And there is where the Levites stood to sing the chapters of Psalms as a preparation for the Beit Hamikdash, and therefore, the place is sanctified with an extra measure of holiness. And this is the place where the Ru'ah Hakodesh dwelled upon King David A"H to compose the Psalms.
2) In this place, the Shechina dwells, as is brought in many places in Psalms, and it is from there that the salvation of Israel is destined to sprout in the upcoming Redemption. And Am Yisrael can receive all salvations from that place, as it says מִי יִתֵּן מִצִּיּוֹן, יְשׁוּעַת יִשְׂרָאֵל [Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion!] Also there, all the treasures of silver and gold and musical instruments that King David prepared for the building of the Beit Hamikdash and for the singing of the Levites was hidden there, and they were hidden by King Solomon and 5 prophets.
3) Since this place is auspicious for the sprouting of the Redemption and the for the salvation of Am Yisrael, the Sitra Ahara is trying to distance Am Yisrael from there by forgetting this holy place and by way of taking hold of it with all its power. And this is the root of their struggle - to attain control over the place after they attained majority control over the mountain. And as we wise up to go up to this holy place with our masses of people and pray there and request from HKB"H to return to us the kingdom of the House of David, and we show HKB"H that the matter pains us that the side of impurity is trying to tunnel its way to the holiest of places, only then will the prophecy of Ovadia be realized: "And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD'S" and HKB"H will annul their plots and their schemes will not come to fruition, and all will recognize and know: For the kingdom is the LORD'S; and He is the ruler over the nations.