Geula-Related Recent Links

Friday, August 04, 2006

Praying for a Soldier - Do you believe who I got?

The OU website says the following:
Pray for one person
A new initiative by Rav Simcha Kook, Rav of Rechovot, and the Bostoner Rebbe, calls for people to take upon themselves to pray for one specific soldier or resident of the North. Every participant in the program will be given the Hebrew name of someone in danger in Israel to pray for. This initiative has been endorsed by gedolim in Eretz Yisrael.

The Medrash Rabah and the Yalkut relate that during the war against Midyon, for every one that went out to battle there was a designated person whose task it was to pray and learn for him. Rav Chaim Kanievsky shlita, when asked about this tradition, pointed out that Dovid Hemelech instituted this practice as well.

Anyone that wishes to participate should email maortlmo@bezeqint.net or fax 011 9722 6512950, or submit requests to the Young Israel at 212-929-1525 ext 100/101 or fax 212-727-9526 and the name of someone to daven for will be sent to you shortly thereafter.


(I mentioned the Midrash here.)

Well, they had a Tehillim gathering at a local synagogue that I attended. After the Tehillim, they had the names of soldiers on small strips of paper in a box, and everyone who wanted to picked one to pray for. They said that there were about 500 names in the box. I happened to pick:

גלעד בן אביבה



I tremble at the task at hand.

9 Comments:

At Fri Aug 04, 05:23:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you that you are a special person...

If you have time think also of

חיים יהושע בן חנה רות
ירון אפרים בן חנה רות

Both are in Lebanon in figthing units, and they are my sons.

 
At Fri Aug 04, 10:55:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry, but I don't get hebrew in my IE, but I am guessing the name was something like this:

Yaakov ben _____ (can't guess the rest)

Thank you for this opportunity.
I've already signed up with Rebbetzen Weinberg to daven for the safety of one soldier, as part of her 1000 prayers for 1000 soldiers (via Aish).

 
At Fri Aug 04, 12:18:00 PM 2006, Blogger yaak said...

Anonymous,

Beli Neder I will think of your sons too.

Neshama,

I got Gilad ben Aviva (Gilad Shalit, who was kidnapped and brought to Gaza).

 
At Sat Aug 05, 09:18:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That really makes it truly amazing!
Have you thought about doing this with a minyan?
What about a mishaberach at shul?
To make it more powerful!?

 
At Tue Aug 08, 01:03:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaak,
You must have much merit in Hashem's eyes that He would choose you to be the one to daven for his holy soul. What a zechus for you!

 
At Tue Aug 08, 08:58:00 AM 2006, Blogger nava said...

I was thinking last night about Gilad Shalit.

Shalit - Shlita - שליט"א
When davening for Gilad ben Aviva, add (שליט("א
שליט"א שיחי-ה לימים טובים וארוכים

 
At Tue Aug 08, 12:17:00 PM 2006, Blogger yaak said...

MatzahNacho, I also thought it was amazing.

Neshama, it's a nice idea. At shul, we're already saying Avinu Malkeinu and an extra Tehillim for the soldiers in general. I'm definitely having him in mind when saying those.

Chaya Tova, it certainly is a zechus, but I doubt it's due to any merit of my own. I consider it more of a responsibility.

Nava, interesting idea. Is there a rabbinic source to this?

 
At Tue Aug 08, 04:26:00 PM 2006, Blogger nava said...

Your question doesn't make sense,
Reb Yaakov Shlita - what kind of Rabbinical source do you need? I didn't say call him Admor. Just when you are davening for him to add that he should שיחי-ה לימים טובים וארוכים
and you too and all Am Israel, Amen!!!

 
At Tue Aug 08, 04:43:00 PM 2006, Blogger Rafi G. said...

wow. amazing story! daven well for him and for all of Klal Yisrael..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home