Rav Shternbuch Shlit"a on Israeli and World Events and Mashiah
Kikar has the text and an audio of the words Rav Moshe Shternbuch Shlit"a spoke at a speech on Purim (and YWN has a PDF of it too - linked from here). The following is a summary:
- He says that newspapers confuse people into thinking that everything that happen in the world happens naturally and that Hashem's hand is not involved at all. Therefore, look at newspapers only a little to see what is going on, but not so much that you'd think that everything is purely "nature".
- He bemoans the fact that everyone is up-in-arms about the Draft Law, but no one is protesting the Giyur Law. It's because to save themselves from jail, they need to protest the Draft Law, but the Giyur Law, which is a protest against Heaven, no one bothers. This is wrong.
- Similarly, about those who protest against the non-Jewish graves from the time of Terah and earlier and they go to pray by these graves for mercy, but don't protest the Draft Law or Giyur Law.
- [YY- Updated the text. Thanks commenter Jacob.] There was a big deal made in the world about the capture of Crimea. According to a tradition we have from the Gr"a, this is a sign of the "
bellsfootsteps of Mashiah". We really don't know what these " bellsfootsteps of Mashiah" are, but it's definitely a sign that the Geula is close, and perhaps, he means פעמי is like פעמון - it's like a bell to awaken us to prepare for Mashiah.
- The prerequisite for the coming of Mashiah is the war against Amalek, and in our days, we already in the midst of a war against Amalek, as the government here is Amalek Mamash by chasing after religion and wanting to totally uproot anything that has a semblance of religion, and they found for themselves some Amalekim who dress up as religious people to assist them. So now, we are in a situation of the prerequisite for the coming of Mashiah.
- We can now go back to what I first talked about - that if we entrench into our hearts very well on Purim day that HKB"H controls all nature, that would bring a great downfall for Amalek. Therefore, we should announce all together, "I believe with complete faith that there is no nature or coincidence in the world at all." Now, that we said this, we dealt a great blow to Amalek since we made an announcement that goes against their opinion that there is no Creator of the world.
The PDF has more info about this:
We see that this tradition that the Russian capture of Crimea is a sign of the "bells of Mashiah" comes from the Gr"a ZY"A, who revealed it close to his death to Rav Hayim Volozhin ZT"L, who revealed it to Rav Yitzhak Haver ZT"L.
I'm a little unsure on why it's called עיר - a city - while it's really a peninsula. One small issue, but this is pretty big.
I just noticed that Rav Fish from this week has this too and wrote the wording slightly differently:
The Gr"a before he died, said to the Rada"l (Rav David Luria) ZT"L:
"On the day that the Russians will overpower the country of Crimea, and especially the great fortification of Kerch, look for the foot of Mashiah."
Rav Fish notes that the first place the Russians took over was Kerch.