Geula-Related Recent Links

Monday, June 07, 2010

Rav Mordechai Eliyahu Zt"l Zy"a

Our nation has lost one of its best today. Rav Mordechai Eliyahu Zt”l went to the next world today after long suffering for Kelal Yisrael to bring Mashiah.

Here is a video of Rav Eliyahu talking about Mashiah.

Here is another video where Rav Eliyahu Zt”l explains that the Baba Sali was one of those who was supposed to see the Mashiah, but Rav Eliyahu was told by the Baba Sali that it wouldn’t happen because there is a great Kitrug (claim of prosecution) against the Jewish people, and he needed to go up to Shamayim to pray for Am Yisrael.

I don’t know, but maybe (based on recent reports) the same happened again with Rav Eliyahu himself.

Rav Eliyahu Zt”l also had famous watches given to him by the Baba Sali, one of which now says 12:02. He even talked about them at one point.

I personally only met the Rav Zt”l during one Shabbat in the early ‘90s. I went to his synagogue and prayed there. After Tefilla, everyone went over to say Shabbat Shalom to Rav Eliyahu. Despite being Sephardic myselt, it was the first time I ever saw people kissing the hand of the Rav. It seemed strange to me, but I saw everyone doing it and considered it the Minhag Hamakom. When it was my turn, I kissed his hand as well, but Rav Eliyahu seemed to look at me strange for doing so. Maybe I didn’t look the part – I don’t know. Anyways, later that Friday night, I went to a shiur that Rav Eliyahu gave in his home, as I happened to be staying in the same apartment building as his. It was excellent.

Here’s a nice article by R’ Yair Hoffman about him.

Zechuto Yagein Aleinu.

8 Comments:

At Mon Jun 07, 03:19:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Shiloh said...

He was the last great Rav we had.

 
At Mon Jun 07, 05:39:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before Moshiach there will be no leaders. So now I guess this generation is ready on that count as well.

 
At Mon Jun 07, 06:34:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was not aware that "there will be no leaders" before the coming of Moshiach. But now Devorah has taught me something "new". Thank you.

Perhaps we are now like children who have lost their precious father l"a and as such we MUST EMBRACE EACH OTHER AND PUT ASIDE ALL DIFFERENCES, etc.

Is there any better time than NOW to realize that as "Children of Hashem" we must ALL turn our eyes to Our Father in Heaven. And only to HIM alone, and cry out together for MOSHIACH TZIDKEINU!!

N.B. "Banim atem La'Hashem ELOKEICHEM" (pl. note that the name of Hashem as "Elokim/Elokeichem" refers to strict judgement, and what greater tragedy for K'lal Yisrael than the death of a Leader of such a calibre!)

 
At Tue Jun 08, 10:34:00 AM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaak:

I was not zoche to be with the Rav zt"l. I am happy to read of your experience with him. As you know, some Sepharadim have the minhag of kissing their parents' hand on Leil Shabbat, but perhaps this carried over to those who spent Shabbat with him. I feel a greater loss than I normally do when we lose gedolim. May Hashem protect us.

HaSepharadi

 
At Tue Jun 08, 10:40:00 AM 2010, Blogger yaak said...

I feel what you feel Hasepharadi.

BTW, I have that minhag as well with my parents and my kids with me too. I just never saw it with great rabbis until then.

 
At Wed Jun 09, 11:32:00 AM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me say that our family does not have the minhag of hanging photographs of hahamim, gedolim, etc. We are not against this, we have just never done it. Whenever I came across a photograph of HaRav zt"l in a news article or web page his visage always imparted chizuk.

HaSepharadi

 
At Wed Jun 09, 11:35:00 AM 2010, Blogger Neil Harris said...

I think this loss is only bring out more and mores stories about his greatness.

I had no idea about the watches, very interesting.

 
At Sun Jun 13, 07:43:00 PM 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A short hesped on Rav Eliyahu by Kabbalist David Katz of Safed showing with gematrias and pesukim how he had the bechina of a Moshiach ben Yosef! http://www.torahanytime.com/scripts/media.php?file=media/Rabbi/David_Katzin/2010-06-13/Rav_Mordachai_Eliyahu_Bechina_Moshiach_Ben_Yosef/Rabbi__David_Katzin__Rav_Mordachai_Eliyahu_Bechina_Moshiach_Ben_Yosef__2010-06-13.wmv

 

Post a Comment

<< Home