Short Shavuot Message
On Shavuot, the Jewish people reached the level of Adam Harishon before his sin. This means that if the golden calf episode would not have taken place, the Israelites would have entered Israel and Mashiah would have come immediately. After the episode of the golden calf, that level of holiness of the Jewish people had been severely tarnished.
The Midrash Rabbah gives many different opinions on exactly when the Jewish people decided to stray from their "Na'aseh VeNishma" commitment:
- Tamuz 17 - when the golden calf episode took place
- Tamuz 6 - 29 days after receiving the Torah
- Sivan 17 - 11 days after receiving the Torah (both 2 and 3 are based on a Pasuk in Devarim)
- Sivan 7 - only 1 day after receiving the Torah
- Sivan 6 - they never fully accepted the Torah (this is hardest for me to understand)
Let us hope that this Shavuot, we will accept the Torah once again, but this time with a greater commitment than ever before - Belaiv Shalem (with a complete heart). In so doing, we will "Reverse the curse" of the golden calf, and hopefully merit that Mashiah will come this year, Amen!